Monday, July 20, 2015

Ant-Man Review

First review Ant-Man!


I took it upon myself to see what marvel studios was cooking for the 12th time in their ever expanding marvel movie universe, and I must admit that, I was a bit sceptical about this movie, not because it was about a man who receive a special suit and can shrink down to bug size and communicate with ants, but because of all the chaos in the production, Edger Write the original director leaving the project because of creative differences, after being attached to the film for years, being replaced by a much less known and far inferior director Peyton Reed, who's best known films are midrange comedies, one titled "Yes Man" I think you get my drift. Anyways who knows what really went on behind closed doors, maybe Wright's ideas were terrible, unlikely but it happened.

The premise is as follows: Stott Lang (played by Paul Rudd (Clueless, I love You Man) former Con man must team with scientist, and former shield agent Hank Pym (played by Michael Douglas) to Stop an Evil CEO  Darren Cross (played by Corey Stoll) from releasing his yellowjacket tech suits, dawn the Ant-Man suit and save the world! 

Ant-Man to me was a pleasant surprise! while it certainly had it's shortcomings, I still enjoyed the film quite a bit, and maybe it was in part due to my deflated expectations. especially after good but ultimately disappointing Age of Ultron earlier this year. however considering all the rewrites, directors replaced and cast shuffling, it could have been a lot worse, in fact at the end of the day I'd say it's a pretty darn good film. The story I found to be tighter and smaller in scope than most of marvel's recent bombastic outings, giving the film a more personal touch, I applaud them for choosing intimacy over spectacle for once, not to say that there wasn't spectacle but I'll get into that later. 


Paul Rudd is pretty much the center and heart of the movie, pulling off the down on his look heist man turned hero with a poise and just the right amount of charm, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly and Corey Stoll all add a layer to of their own to this film as well, Michael Pena as his quaky side-kick was a bit hit and miss for me as was some of the humor, but the fact the most of it work for me is saying something.
One of the aspects I really was impressed with was the visuals- not just how really they looked but the sheer inventiveness, and sometimes humorous way they were incorporated into the film. I especially love the shrinking aspect as I was a huge Honey Shrunk the Kids fan as a child. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a visual effects nom, come Oscar season. 


As I referred to Honey I Shrunk The Kids, I did get a very early nineties vibe when watching this movie, which considering my childhood was in that era I got a little nostalgic for. Yes it could have been a little deeper, and maybe Edgar's pizazz would have made the film more meaty and unique, cause the handprints of marvel were definitely all over this film, and the direction seemed show that, but all things considered this was a pretty solid entry into their ever growing universe of films, not near the heights of Winter Soldier or Guardians, but a step up from Ultron, and certainly not the dud it could have been.

vastly enjoyable film! 4/5 


No comments:

Post a Comment